Cairo Hash: Running through the desert.

DSC_0664
Life is all about trying new things, you know. So I decided to try this hashing in the desert thing.  What's hashing? Well, it's not drugs but this:


Variously described as "the lunatic fringe of running" and "the drinking club with a running problem," the Hash House Harriers are a worldwide loosely organized collection of individual clubs. The Cairo Hash kennel welcomes all people - and well behaved pets - of any age, class, size, shape, sex, religion, philosophy (or not), and running or walking ability (or not).
Our premise is simple, a couple of  harriers (the Hares) lay a trail of flour, lentils or paper over a course (the Trail) they choose. The other harriers (thehounds) try to find and follow the trail. It stops a few times in the next 45 to 75 minutes at regroup stops (the Checkpoints) to allow back markers to catch up. And finally returns to the starting point.
There is a a parallel trail just for walkers.


Check out their website here:http://www.cairohash.com/about-the-hash-p5.html

Kinda stupid that I decided to run in the desert on the first day that I decided to try fasting for Ramadan. But I survived.

I went with a couple of new friends, Susana who is from Spain and Mark from Canada.  We decided to walk since it was first time. It was a wonderful experience, this running in the desert thing. I've always thought of myself us a beach person but I realize that I love the desert just as much. It is amazing how quiet and beautiful it could be.  I might just do this again before I leave in 2 weeks. 

Here's what happened:


DSC_0656





DSC_0657
This is the starting to point. I love the rock formations.


DSC_0658
Mark and Susana!


DSC_0660
Susana brought cookies. 


DSC_0661
Here are the participants. The ones in yellow are sort of the leaders we follow through the desert.


DSC_0662



DSC_0663
There was a bunch of expats from different countries such as Switzerland, Germany and France.


DSC_0664
Immediately we started climbing up the side of this hill.


DSC_0665



DSC_0666
Look at this view! Yes, I was taking pictures while walking.  How can you not stop to admire this view!


DSC_0667



DSC_0668
For walkers, we followed the orange lentils.


DSC_0669



DSC_0671
Those are the runners.


DSC_0672
And here are the walkers.


DSC_0673



DSC_0674
Hola Susana!


DSC_0675


DSC_0676



DSC_0677
Lovely.


DSC_0678
Walking, walking, walking


DSC_0680



DSC_0681
MArk doing a superman pose.


DSC_0682
I might do the running, but we'll see.


DSC_0683
Here's the check point where we make sure that no one's left behind.


DSC_0685



DSC_0686



DSC_0687



DSC_0688



DSC_0689



DSC_0690
Some more walking.


DSC_0691



DSC_0692



DSC_0693
There was a point where my fear of heights kicked in and I was holding on to dear life on some rocks. 


DSC_0694



DSC_0695



DSC_0696



DSC_0697
The best thing about the hash is that I made some new friends:)

More pictures to come.

Comments

Popular Posts