Barcelona: Sagrada Familia Part 1

DSC_0826
I'm not gonna lie. I had an awesome summer. I didn't have a lot of money but thanks to cheap flights care of Ryan Air, I got to go to Barcelona, Spain for several days. The main attraction in Barcelona is, of course, Antonio Gaudi's La Sagrada Familia. 

As with the pyramids in Egypt, I looked at a lot of pictures before visiting this church, but nothing could have prepared me for its magnificence.

La Sagrada Familia is famous for the having the lengthiest construction time. Construction began in 1882 and is still going on. But what is even more amazing is its architectural design. Antonio Gaudi took inspiration from nature for his works which is why you will see a lot of references to plants, fruits and the ocean. You will also seldom see any straight lines favored by modern, minimalist art.

As a tip, one should come early. I went at around 11 and there was a long line of people outside that snaked around the block. Tickets are usually 18 euros, but thanks to my student i.d. I got in for much cheaper. You should also buy another ticket to ride the elevator up to one of its towers. The excellent view of Barcelona alone is worth the extra euros you'll be paying. Also, wear comfortable shoes and bring a bottle of water. And have your camera ready.


DSC_0823
I mean, where do you even start to take pictures?


DSC_0794
Everything just seemed so...glorious.





The walk from my hostel to the Church was a treat in itself. The architecture and design of buildings is just awe-inspiring.


In the horizon, the church began to appear.


Too bad I brought the wrong lens and couldn't take a better picture of the whole facade.

I made up for it by taking loads of pictures of the details.


The crucifixion scene.



Look at the details.



I love the figures on the walls and towers.

Scourging at the pillar.

The betrayal at Gethsemane.

Inside...



Look at that ceiling!!! I'm not gonna pretend I understand everything.






It feels like you're in a forest.

Surrounded by tall trees.

These look like the sun.


There's also a space where one can pray.



A miniature Sagrada.



Can't. Stop. Looking.


The difficult thing about traveling alone is you rarely get to have pictures with you in it. So it's great when strangers offer to take your photo.

Although more often than not it's a bad picture because you have a pretentious camera that not everyone understands. But still. Atleast I have proof that I was there.




Everything just seemed so grand inside.

Look at the center altar.


Trees, I tell you.


Another tip, bring extra shirt. I did. Because some parts of the church require a more conservative look. 

I don't often go out in tank tops, but I was going to do a lot of walking and it was 90 degrees.


It's like being under water.


Vanity shots.

So shoot me.



Below the church is a small museum about the construction of the church.




I particularly enjoyed the different renditions of the church.


The man himself.

I also started taking pictures of interesting-looking people because there were a lot of them in Barcelona.


One day, when I have a kid of my own, I'll bring him here.

That's it for part 1. And for the day. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts