Sunday, June 8, 2014

Anna's Birthday at Grill 21

I've always been very resilient when it comes to homesickness. I think it comes from being an only child raised by a single parent. While my mom was away working, I would spend hours playing clay and watching TV. In the beginning, of course, I used to cry a lot when my mom would have to go to work. But in time, as with many other things in life, you get used to it. Which is why, I think, it wasn't very difficult for me to join JVP or study here in NY.

But, you know, there are just those days when there's nothing I wouldn't give up for a sniff of dirty Manila air. And the closest I can get to home, other than coming home to relatives in New Jersey is eating Pinoy food. And so I was a very happy kid when Anna said she would be celebrating her birthday at a Filipino restaurant so her husband's non-Pinoy friends can try Filipino food.

They served lumpiang shanghai as an appetizer. And they kept the supply coming! I don't think I've eaten that much lumpia in my entire life. Thank you Anna!

Anna looking good here!






They had coconut juice in their menu but I was disappointed to find out it was canned. Booooo.

Anna's friends! Thankfully most of them loved the food!




I think this is caldereta. So yummy!

This is their special pancit.

Tinola! While I've never been a big fan of tinola, because I'm a sinigang boy, I really loved their version.

Dan whispering sweet nothings. haha.


Of course the Russians brought alcohol. Lots of alcohol.

I love the wall decor!

And Red Horse! But I never got to drink it because, uhm, there were other options.

Halo-halo for dessert!


Happy birthday Anna!





Awwwww.

Everyone was in a jolly mood.


The other wall.


With Llenell and some Rando she met on the street. haha. I kid. :)

4 comments:

Labels

airline review (1) animals (3) Barcelona (2) beach (7) buildings (2) Cairo (14) children (5) color (1) drawing/painting (4) Egypt (12) erin (4) exercise (1) flower (1) food (4) iped (13) JVP (7) Museums (4) New York (23) Philippines (4) Photography (1) photos (1) Red Sea (1) South Africa (4) Spain (1) sun (1) sunset (1) travel (44) video (1) videoke (1) wael (4)

Why you should Travel (click photo)