The American Museum of Natural History in NYC

DSC_0190
Don't tell anyone but I love museums. In college, we had this tiny art gallery that no one ever went to because, uhm, everyone was busy studying, partying, dating, you know, getting a life. I never pretended to be the coolest person then, given the hours I spent in the library. But other than the library, one of my favorite places in school was that tiny gallery that contained some of the best artworks by my favorite Filipino artists. There was this one painting by Ang Kiukok that showed a modern take on Jesus Christ. It was done in silver, whites and black and in rectangles and triangles. There was also an impressionist take on the streets of Manila showing hundreds of jeepneys bumper to bumper.

After college, I remember going through a bad boy phase. This is embarrassing, but this was the time when I had my eyebrows pierced and I was out clubbing every weekend.I think it was all part of my quarter life crisis. In any case, bad boy or not, I don't think I've ever been able to shake off my love of museums.

Thus, when I came to New York, I almost died with excitement. The Museum of Modern Art was 6 floors of heaven, where Van Goh and Monet rested on the topmost floor. Then there was the Metropolitan Museum of Art that is overflowing with the most important works of art in the last few centuries. A day is never enough to completely see and appreciate each of these museums.

However, there is one museum I neglected to visit, the American Museum of Natural History. This is not just because graduate school can be a vicious monster that will suck the life out of you, but mostly because, as much as I love museums, I was never that interested in natural history.  Thankfully a friend came to visit New York from the Philippines and I was duty bound to take him to some of the museums around.

And let me tell you, I was a fool for not going to this museum before. It's awesome and impressive in ways that museums should be.  They have an entire floor of dinosaurs which brought back memories of me as a child, sitting in a corner and playing with plastic dinosaurs.

(Here's part two of this post )
Words are not enough to describe how amazing this museum is so here are the pictures:





DSC_0188

This will greet you at the entrance..

DSC_0189




DSC_0190
We now have something similar in the Philippines care of the brilliant Mind Museum.


DSC_0194



DSC_0196



DSC_0197




DSC_0199



DSC_0206



DSC_0207




DSC_0208



DSC_0209



DSC_0212
Hey niks!



DSC_0215
They remind me of the Igorots in the Philippines.


DSC_0218




DSC_0219



DSC_0220



DSC_0222



DSC_0223



DSC_0224



DSC_0225



DSC_0226
Did I tell you that I also love turtles? Look at how huge this one is!!


DSC_0227

I could totally ride on its back!


DSC_0229



DSC_0231



DSC_0232



DSC_0234







DSC_0238





DSC_0240




DSC_0242




DSC_0244



DSC_0245




DSC_0247

I look exhausted but happy!


DSC_0250



DSC_0251



DSC_0254



DSC_0255



DSC_0257




DSC_0259

Comments

Popular Posts